Ground Zero Mosque

Go down

Ground Zero Mosque

Post by imaginethat on Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Again, "we" are our own worst enemy. "Our side" has decided to make political hay over the "Ground Zero Mosque," only, it's not at Ground Zero and the mosque planned for the project is only a small part of it. It's a crying shame to go to a lib publication to get accurate data on the "Ground Zero" mosque, but I have checked out this timeline, and it appears to be correct.

More time and energy pissed away by "our side" on a contrived issue.

Dec. 8, 2009: The Times publishes a lengthy front-page look at the Cordoba project. "We want to push back against the extremists," Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, the lead organizer, is quoted as saying. Two Jewish leaders and two city officials, including the mayor's office, say they support the idea, as does the mother of a man killed on 9/11. An FBI spokesman says the imam has worked with the bureau. Besides a few third-tier right-wing blogs, including Pamela Geller's Atlas Shrugs site, no one much notices the Times story.

Dec. 21, 2009: Conservative media personality Laura Ingraham interviews Abdul Rauf's wife, Daisy Khan, while guest-hosting "The O'Reilly Factor" on Fox. In hindsight, the segment is remarkable for its cordiality. "I can't find many people who really have a problem with it," Ingraham says of the Cordoba project, adding at the end of the interview, "I like what you're trying to do."

...there were no news articles on the mosque for five and a half months, according to a search of the Nexis newspaper archive.

May 6, 2010: After a unanimous vote by a New York City community board committee to approve the project, the AP runs a story. It quotes relatives of 9/11 victims (called by the reporter), who offer differing opinions. The New York Post, meanwhile, runs a story under the inaccurate headline, "Panel Approves 'WTC' Mosque." Geller is less subtle, titling her post that day, "Monster Mosque Pushes Ahead in Shadow of World Trade Center Islamic Death and Destruction." She writes on her Atlas Shrugs blog, "This is Islamic domination and expansionism. The location is no accident. Just as Al-Aqsa was built on top of the Temple in Jerusalem."

May 7, 2010: Geller's group, Stop Islamization of America (SIOA), launches "Campaign Offensive: Stop the 911 Mosque!" (SIOA 's associate director is Robert Spencer, who makes his living writing and speaking about the evils of Islam.) Geller posts the names and contact information for the mayor and members of the community board, encouraging people to write. The board chair later reports getting "hundreds and hundreds" of calls and e-mails from around the world.

May 8, 2010: Geller announces SIOA's first protest against what she calls the "911 monster mosque" for May 29. She and Spencer and several other members of the professional anti-Islam industry will attend. (She also says that the protest will mark the dark day of "May 29, 1453, [when] the Ottoman forces led by the Sultan Mehmet II broke through the Byzantine defenses against the Muslim siege of Constantinople." The outrage-peddling New York Post columnist Andrea Peyser argues in a note at the end of her column a couple of days later that "there are better places to put a mosque."

May 13, 2010: Peyser follows up with an entire column devoted to "Mosque Madness at Ground Zero." This is a significant moment in the development of the "ground zero mosque" narrative: It's the first newspaper article that frames the project as inherently wrong and suspect, in the way that Geller has been framing it for months. Peyser in fact quotes Geller at length and promotes the anti-mosque protest of Stop Islamization of America, which Peyser describes as a "human-rights group." Peyser also reports — falsely — that Cordoba House's opening date will be Sept. 11, 2011.
Lots of opinion makers on the right read the Post, so it's not surprising that, starting that very day, the mosque story spread through the conservative — and then mainstream — media like fire through dry grass. Geller appeared on Sean Hannity's radio show. The Washington Examiner ran an outraged column about honoring the 9/11 dead. So did Investor's Business Daily. Smelling blood, the Post assigned news reporters to cover the ins and outs of the Cordoba House development daily. Fox News, the Post's television sibling, went all out.

Within a month, Rudy Giuliani had called the mosque a "desecration." Within another month, Sarah Palin had tweeted her famous "peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate" tweet. Peter King and Newt Gingrich and Tim Pawlenty followed suit — with political reporters and television news programs dutifully covering "both sides" of the controversy.

Geller had succeeded beyond her wildest dreams.
http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/08/16/ground_zero_mosque_origins
imaginethat

Pundit Level : 307
Poster Popularity : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Ground Zero Mosque

Post by Craig1974 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:01 am

I think there are better places in NYC to build a mosque/Muslim communty center or whatever. Two blocks away from Ground Zero is too close in my opinion. I don't buy into the whole Islamic victory angle in putting up the mosque there but for some people 9-11 is still a fresh wound. Ground Zero should be a memorial for the innocent dead and for those emergency personel who gave their lives trying to save lives.

Craig1974

Pundit Level : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by swiftfoxmark2 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:17 pm

Ground Zero shouldn't be a stinking pit right now, but a site where two tall towers stand again, fully erect, as if to the extend the middle finger to those who abuse the name of Allah.

Pundit Level : 1365
Poster Popularity : 2

http://swiftfoxmark2.blogspot.com/ http://twitter.com/swiftfoxmark2/

Back to top Go down

Post by imaginethat on Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Polls show that 70 percent of Manhattan residents approve of the project.
imaginethat

Back to top Go down

Post by Royd on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Curious people, it did not seem to bother them when a convicted terrorist bomber was made Grand Marshall of the first St Patricks Day Parade after 9/11, yet this bothers them!

I do wish they would make their minds up.

Royd

Pundit Level : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by dsmbaptist on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:06 pm

Even if 911 wasn't an inside job (as I have been led to believe in the last few months)...what bugs my butt is the lost of opportunity that the professing "Christians" waste on all this hate rhetoric toward a people who had nothing to do with 911. Whatever happened to "Go ye into all the world AND PREACH THE GOSPEL"? What a waste of time, and it's a rotten testimony. I want no association with these haters at all! Sad

19 people...I repeat.. NINETEEN PEOPLE ...DO NOT speak for the entire nation of Islam!

How are we supposed to reach these lost souls for Christ if one minute we're shouting profanities at them at some hate rally, and then turn around and try to preach the Love of Jesus and how he's the only way to Heaven if we're hating them in the name of Jesus? It makes no freaking sense!

(Oh, unless...you're a neocon...then everything that neocons do, no matter how inconsistent or damaging to liberty is alright, I guess! Oh, how silly of me...I forgot that neocons are the saviours of the planet!) Head Bang Keyboard

(Sarcasm!) Smile

My second point is that it's NOT a mosque, but a community center! Evil or Very Mad Protest

My third point is that there's already at least another mosque approximately 800 yards (and I believe a few more) from Ground Zero, so if the islamophobes were consistent, they should be demanding that those mosques be torn down, too!

dsmbaptist

Pundit Level : 997

http://mitchellandmichael.blogspot.com/ http://michaelsmusings.forumotion.net/forum.htm http://twitter.com/Dsmbear

Back to top Go down

Post by imaginethat on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:41 pm

Well, like I said, it's all stinking politics, with the emphasis on "stinking."

And, look how many have bought into it, and how many of those are on "our side."
imaginethat

Back to top Go down

Post by dsmbaptist on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Dude, do you realize that we'd NEVER get this far into the conversation if we were still over at Coverts? By this point most likely BH, Solo, Swim, CJ, College Boob...I mean, College Boy and HJPT would have hijacked the thread and we'd be so far off track, that we'd NEVER get to the heart of the matter! Evil or Very Mad
dsmbaptist

http://mitchellandmichael.blogspot.com/ http://michaelsmusings.forumotion.net/forum.htm http://twitter.com/Dsmbear

Back to top Go down

Post by imaginethat on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:06 pm

Yes, I do realize that DSM. And, it's not only the topic of this thread.
imaginethat

Back to top Go down

Post by Royd on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:08 am

The first thing to understand about Islam, and that it is not a nation, it is a social/religious/political movement spread across as many sects and sub sects as it is peoples and nations.

With no governing or central authority, anyone can set themselves up as a cleric, and most strange of all Islam will in accord of its own act as a kind of democracy, meaning if people don't like what you preach they won't follow you.

Just as there as many sects and sub sects there are more interpretations.

There is also irony in Islam and its followers, as the protests against the cartoons of Muhhamad demonstrated. One protester with a poster saying death to the infidel was asked why such a strong reaction, the answer was, oh it is not to be taken literally, to which the reply was, you mean like a cartoon is not to be taken literally.

Where it all goes wrong is when secular societies allow religious groups irrespective of who they are to start making demands of what can or cannot be done, or what society must allow them to do.

It is not Islam's fault society is changing, it is the fault of those allowing the changes.

Royd

Pundit Level : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by imaginethat on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:34 am

Spot on, Royd.

Not taking responsibility is the game in town. It's so much easier, and more satisfying, to blame the other guy than it is to take responsibility.

In fact, it's the only game town.
imaginethat

Back to top Go down

Post by Craig1974 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:50 am

dsmbaptist wrote:

My third point is that there's already at least another mosque approximately 800 yards (and I believe a few more) from Ground Zero, so if the islamophobes were consistent, they should be demanding that those mosques be torn down, too!

Can you substantiate this claim? Also it is understandable that people are upset by the idea of building this close to Ground Zero. This community center also has a prayer center included in the plans and perhaps other expedient additions for the propagation of Islam. So it also may be approriate terminology to say "mosque".

Craig1974

Pundit Level : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat Riot'76 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:42 pm

dsmbaptist wrote:
19 people...I repeat.. NINETEEN PEOPLE ...DO NOT speak for the entire nation of Islam!
Islam isn't a nation.

dsmbaptist wrote:How are we supposed to reach these lost souls for Christ if one minute we're shouting profanities at them at some hate rally, and then turn around and try to preach the Love of Jesus and how he's the only way to Heaven if we're hating them in the name of Jesus? It makes no freaking sense!
1. Well, a few people shouting profanities at some hate rally do not speak for the entire nation of America. Or the Christian Faith.

2. I haven't seen or heard any "hate" rallies or any preaching to hate them in the name of Jesus. Unless telling the Truth about Mohammet and Islam is hating.

dsmbaptist wrote:My second point is that it's NOT a mosque, but a community center!
Semantics by the imam, the supporters, the MSM, and etc. The point is to poke America in the eye. It was called the Cordova Project for a reason. Where are they getting their money? My church of 100 has more in savings than the imam does for his mosque. We have no plans to build a $100 million community outreach center.

Pat Riot'76

Pundit Level : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by swiftfoxmark2 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:02 am

They are getting money from the Saudis. I thought that was obvious.

Back to top Go down

Ground Zero mosque imam to appear in NJ court Wednesday

Post by swiftfoxmark2 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:43 pm

In related news:

Imam Faisal Abdul Rauf, the religious leader behind the planned community center and mosque near Ground Zero in New York, is expected to appear in court Wednesday in Union City, N.J., to face charges that he failed to address tenants' complaints and city orders as the landlord of two apartment buildings, Fox News Channel reported Tuesday.

Rauf's attorneys, and possibly Rauf himself, will appear in court for a hearing at 2:30pm Wednesday.

Union City filed the lawsuit against Rauf, claiming he ignored complaints by tenants and orders from the city on issues ranging from moldy bathrooms to fire hazards, local newspaper The Star-Ledger reported.

The suit identifies Rauf as the sole officer of Sage Development LLC, a company based at the imam's home address in North Bergen, N.J., and lists him as the owner of the two buildings. The suit also alleges that the state revoked Sage's corporate status in 2005 for failure to file annual reports.

The larger of the two buildings cited in the suit has been vacant since a fire broke out there in February 2008, one year after the city claims it issued 12 separate fire code violations that Rauf allegedly ignored.

"He's a terrible landlord who's unresponsive to the residents who live in his building," said Mark Albiez, a spokesman for Mayor Brian Stack.

"City officials and inspectors have reached out to him to express the urgency in correcting problems in his buildings, and it's unfortunate that it's gotten to this point, but it's our responsibility to ensure that residents receive the care that is needed."

The newspaper said calls to Rauf's home were met with a busy signal.

I'm not sure what to make of this. If he builds the Mosque at Ground Zero, will he maintain it properly?

Back to top Go down

Post by dsmbaptist on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:59 pm

How do you define "Maintain it properly"? scratch
dsmbaptist

Back to top Go down

Post by swiftfoxmark2 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:19 pm

You know, stuff like keeping the pools clean, maintaining the bathroom facilities, ensuring that the building remains up to code, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat Riot'76 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:43 pm

Apparently not obvious enough.

Money coming from Saudis does not = moderate Islam. Money coming from Saudis = radical Islam. Beck also said that one of this imam's cohorts and mosque fundraisers is a 9-11 Troother and that if the world knew what really happened there wouldn't be a Jew left.

yeah, this is just going to be a cultural outreach center.

/sarcasm

Pat Riot'76

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat Riot'76 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:45 pm

[quote="swiftfoxmark2"]In related news:

Imam Faisal Abdul Rauf, the religious leader behind the planned community center and mosque near Ground Zero in New York, is expected to appear in court Wednesday in Union City, N.J., to face charges that he failed to address tenants' complaints and city orders as the landlord of two apartment buildings, Fox News Channel reported Tuesday.

Rauf's attorneys, and possibly Rauf himself, will appear in court for a hearing at 2:30pm Wednesday.

Union City filed the lawsuit against Rauf, claiming he ignored complaints by tenants and orders from the city on issues ranging from moldy bathrooms to fire hazards, local newspaper The Star-Ledger reported.

The suit identifies Rauf as the sole officer of Sage Development LLC, a company based at the imam's home address in North Bergen, N.J., and lists him as the owner of the two buildings. The suit also alleges that the state revoked Sage's corporate status in 2005 for failure to file annual reports.
Apparently if common sense can't kill this mosque location, then government red tape and bureacracy just might.

Pat Riot'76

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down