Covert Classic Conservatives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carl's Memorial Service

2 posters

Go down

Carl's Memorial Service Empty Carl's Memorial Service

Post by dsmbaptist Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Reposting for those who no longer post at Coverts:

StarryNightDave wrote:Carl’s Memorial was happy and sad. I arrived about 15 minutes before it was to start. And, I was doing OK until Carl’s mother came up to me and gave me a hug. She had remembered me from when I visited Carl at the Hospice. I couldn’t talk, I got so choked up.

I didn’t really know anyone else there except for Carl’s one sister. His brother-in-law got things started by telling everyone that it was Carl’s intention for this to be a happy and informal occasion where we could remember him. It was all that and more.

I can’t remember much about the first person who spoke. But, I was really touched and quite proud of the next person. One of Carl’s Nephews stood up and read a “submission” that was emailed to him. It was from our own Max/sxsdoublegun. It’s one thing to read what he wrote to Carl. But, it took on a very special quality being read by a relative. Max, it was beautiful. You made us laugh and cry. We all laughed out loud after he read, “a real man capable of killing the meat and dragging it home.”

This was followed by 2 emails from clients and colleagues of Carl’s. But then, there were more submissions from members of our little Forum. It was hard to hear from where I was sitting, but I recognized one from Raina/bugalug, Cindy,abbi, and Gail/ConsrvYank1. There may have been one or more others, but I’m not sure.

So, even though you were not there, you were all there with me today. I’m a bit overwhelmed by this. I think it’s kind of amazing that we have all been such a part of Carl’s life, and he a part of ours. You have also touched his family and friends and warmed their hearts.

Towards the end of the Memorial, Carl’s brother got up and said they were fixing us all a drink. It was Carl’s wish that we all enjoy a round on him today. He was very fond of Rum, which I didn’t know before. And, he set aside a very special bottle which was spread out among many little shot glasses.

Right before they passed out the rum, his brother said he just had to tell one story about Carl. Back in 2005 he had bought a brand new Mustang. A few weeks later, he and Carl took the Mustang to what I think was a Jethro Tull concert in Philly. At least that’s what it sounded like from where I was sitting. As they were parking, he asked Carl to watch the rocks on his side as he opened the door.

Carl then flung open the door and his brother heard a CRUNCH! “Carl!”, he said. “I think you just dented the door!” Carl looked at him and said, “It was bound to happen sooner or later. I just saved you the trouble of waiting for it to happen.”

Most of us all took the little shot glasses of rum and all stood for the toast. It was a Viking toast and his family members all recited it together. We all said “Cheers” to Carl and drank the rum. After the coughs and gasps died down around the room we applauded. (That was some rum!!)

I wanted to say thanks to everyone. Thanks for being there with me today. If this place never accomplishes anything other than bringing us together for Carl today, then we have truly made something great by coming together in this place.

Wow...Carl liked rum? scratch Me too! cheers
dsmbaptist
dsmbaptist

Pundit Level : 997
Poster Popularity : 0

http://mitchellandmichael.blogspot.com/ http://michaelsmusings.forumotion.net/forum.htm http://twitter.com/Dsmbear

Back to top Go down

Carl's Memorial Service Empty Re: Carl's Memorial Service

Post by annie Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:55 am

I'm so sorry to learn that Carl has died.

I never met Carl, but we both posted at ACOC and then CC for so many years, I feel as if I have known him. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

annie

Pundit Level : 40
Poster Popularity : 0

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum