Covert Classic Conservatives
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saudi court rules: Paralyze man who crippled another

3 posters

Go down

Saudi court rules: Paralyze man who crippled another Empty Saudi court rules: Paralyze man who crippled another

Post by imaginethat Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Hey, here's some sharia for ya.

Saudi court rules: Paralyze man who crippled another
'Eye-for-eye' verdict stirs outrage
By Ashish Kumar Sen

The Washington Times
9:06 p.m., Monday, August 23, 2010

A Saudi Arabian court has ruled that a convicted man's spinal cord should be severed so he is paralyzed as part of the kingdom's Islamic-law-oriented retribution for similar injuries he is said to have inflicted upon another man in a fight.

The ruling has prompted an outcry from human rights groups and an intervention from Saudi officials who say they are trying to persuade the victim to accept monetary compensation for his injuries instead of the punishment against the criminal.

According to reports from Saudi Arabia, the court in Tabuk, on the northwest coast of the kingdom, has approached a number of hospitals about the possibility of cutting the convicted man's spinal cord.

So far at least two hospitals have refused to carry out the procedure, citing ethical concerns.

In the Saudi justice system, the court establishes guilt and the family of the victim or the victim himself has the option of inflicting the same injury upon the guilty party, seeking blood money or offering a pardon.

"The sentence of 'an eye for an eye' has always been in conflict with medical ethics," said Christoph Wilcke, a senior researcher for Saudi Arabia at Human Rights Watch, adding, "This case is a new angle in the sense that doctors are speaking out."
More.

No surprise. Though claiming to worship the God of Abraham, Islam does not. God did not demand Cain's life for slaying Abel, rather, levied this punishment:

When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength. A fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be on the earth.

To which, Cain lamented:

"My punishment is greater than I can bear.

Behold, Thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth, and from Thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond on the earth. And it shall come to pass that every one who findeth me shall slay me."

God replied:

"... whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold." [/size]

No endorsement for and eye for an eye or the death penalty. Jesus carried it further:

Ye have heard that it hath been said, `An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.'

But I say unto you that ye resist not evil, but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

And even further:

Ye have heard that it hath been said, `Thou shalt love thy neighbor and hate thine enemy.'

But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them that despitefully use you and persecute you, that ye may be the children of your Father who is in Heaven. For He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

How many times are we to forgive those who sin against us?

Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Until seven times?"

And Jesus said unto him, "I say not unto thee until seven times, but until seventy times seven...."

Crazy man, that Jesus. But, He was backed up later by Paul, who also provvided some rationale:

Recompense no man evil for evil ... live peaceably with all men.

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath; for it is written: "Vengeance is Mine; I will repay, saith the Lord."

Therefore: "If thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink. For in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

Muslims have no problem with an eye for an eye, or a spine for a spine. No surprise. However, it is surprising that many Christians have no problem with it either.
imaginethat
imaginethat

Pundit Level : 307
Poster Popularity : 0

Back to top Go down

Saudi court rules: Paralyze man who crippled another Empty Re: Saudi court rules: Paralyze man who crippled another

Post by Owen 16 Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:30 pm

Not surprising at all, IT. We may try to be Christ-like, but revenge is a very human emotion. Rare is the human who can always forego revenge; indeed rare is the human who can often forego revenge. It's in us.
Owen 16
Owen 16

Pundit Level : 33

Back to top Go down

Saudi court rules: Paralyze man who crippled another Empty Re: Saudi court rules: Paralyze man who crippled another

Post by Doc Trock Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:42 am

Owen 16 wrote:Not surprising at all, IT. We may try to be Christ-like, but revenge is a very human emotion. Rare is the human who can always forego revenge; indeed rare is the human who can often forego revenge. It's in us.

I know many people who would like to do this and more to muslims....just because they're muslim. It's a good thing we have laws that were written by sane people, long ago.
Doc Trock
Doc Trock

Pundit Level : 322

Back to top Go down

Post by imaginethat Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:13 pm

Doc Trock wrote:
Owen 16 wrote:Not surprising at all, IT. We may try to be Christ-like, but revenge is a very human emotion. Rare is the human who can always forego revenge; indeed rare is the human who can often forego revenge. It's in us.

I know many people who would like to do this and more to muslims....just because they're muslim. It's a good thing we have laws that were written by sane people, long ago.

Agreed.

Not to open a "works vs. grace" discussion .... but, is the idea "I'm saved no matter what I do" approximately similar to the "good job" given to "D-" students in schools?

When will the Christian churches and individual Christians accept their (our) responsibilty for continuing the eye-for-a-eye paradigm. It's so darned easy to see things in other religions and their believers, but so darned hard to see it in ours and ourselves.

Where are the fruits of the Spirit? Where are the "A" Christians? The "D-" Christians are plain to see. When will we stop making excuses for ourselves? When will we stand firm on the teachings of Christ, and begin to manifest outwardly the miraculous and powerful beings He taught us we can be? The ones that command mountains? Heal people? Love their enemies? Are peacemkers?
imaginethat
imaginethat

Pundit Level : 307

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down